I feel like there is a big misunderstanding with what people think Day of Coordinators (DOC) do. When you are looking at wedding planning websites, it can be super confusing choosing between full, partial and day of planning. I wanted to write this post to explain what a DOC truly does, and you can decide if this is the route you want to go.
A DOC is perfect for the bride who wants to create her own special day and find her own vendors, but really needs someone there on the day to make sure it all goes as planned. A big misconception is that the DOC starts on your actual wedding day. Well, that's just not possible. You have to have a lot of information before the big day, to make sure everything is in place and going to run smoothly for the wedding. The planning actually begins one month before the wedding date, to ensure the DOC has all of the right contacts and can help you with final details. DOC's do so much, really, but here is a list of items a true DOC should handle for you. If you booked our services, this is what you'd get (and so much more)!
- 2 weeks before first meeting, we'll send you a questionnaire to fill out with your fiance. This goes over vendor questions and contacts, as well as how you want the ceremony and reception to go.
- One month before wedding date we meet you and your fiance at your wedding venue. If you have a ceremony and separate reception venue, we'll visit both. In this meeting, we'll discuss the wedding questionnaire we sent you, questions and items we need further clarification on , the wedding day timeline, and any extra details you want to share with us about your big day.
- Within one week after our meeting we will send you a timeline to look over, make changes to if necessary, and approve. Once we get your approval, we'll send out to your wedding party and vendors.
- The final 3 weeks, we'll send you some fun reminders and timelines to make sure you are getting everything you need done, completed.
- The night before we'll handle the logistics of your ceremony rehearsal.
- DAY OF! Happy Wedding day! We're the first to show up and the last to leave. We come armed with the timeline, vendor contacts and information and ready to make sure your day runs smoothly.
- We'll work with the bride to make sure hair and makeup are on time and going smoothly.
- We'll make sure the groom and groomsmen are in place and heading to the ceremony site on time.
- For the ceremony, we'll make sure that the bridal party is in place at the right time, the photographers know which pictures you want them to take, the musicians are in place and everyone heads down the aisle in a timely fashion.
- After the ceremony, we'll make sure guests know how to get to the reception venue or where cocktail hour is, the photographer gets the family and bridal party photos at the ceremony venue and the bridal party leaves in time to get to the next location.
- For cocktail hour and at the reception, we'll be the point of contact for all vendors and guests.
- Before the reception, we'll make sure all florals are in place on the tables, the favors are put out, the seating chart is ready and all final touches are completed.
- We'll make sure the guests get seated at the right table, the appetizers and cocktails are served on time and with a good flow, and the reception starts on time.
- We'll work with the DJ to make sure all of the bridal party gets introduced in the correct order and then have a grand entrance for the Bride and Groom.
- Our timeline for the reception will consist of : bridal party entrance, first dance, dinner, toasts, mother/son and father/daughter dances, cake cutting, garter belt and bouquet toss, dance party and whatever else is planned for your big night.
- We'll get all of your gifts and personal items to the previously designated person, to make sure they get them to your home.
- Once the reception is over, we'll work with each vendor to make sure they have cleaned up their items and are out by the time we are scheduled to be out of the venue.
- We'll do one more pass to make sure everything looks good and that you will not get charged for any of your vendors not doing something.
- And so much more...
Honestly, DOC really do so many things. Not only are they running around making sure everything is in place, they are also smiling and greeting guests, ensuring everyone is having a wonderful time.
When choosing a DOC, make sure you choose someone you really connect with and like to be around. I think it's really important that they are not only organized as all get out, but super nice and excited to help you for your day. It's one of the most important days of your life, you need someone who knows what they're doing, and can do it with a smile.
If you decide you want to DIY and do all of the planning yourself, you go girl, but I would highly recommend getting someone to run the day. That way you don't have to ask your mom, aunt or bridesmaids to do it. All of your guests , friends and family members can enjoy the day without a care in the world. It's worth it, I promise. As a wedding planner myself, I didn't hire one, thinking I could handle it all, and I really wish I would have. My wedding was sweet and simple, but having someone there to oversee everything so I didn't have to, would have been fabulous!
I'd love to hear your thoughts! Are you hiring a DOC for your wedding day? If so, what was the main reason you wanted to hire one?
Keeping you Stylish,